- Full name: Koivusalo, Markku Johannes (male).
- Date and place of birth: 30 May 1969, Helsinki (Finland). Finnish Citizen.
- Children: Annastiina Augusta Apollonia (b. 1999)
- Aukusti Alarik Dionius (b. 2006).
- Current residence: Museokatu 46B 50. Helsinki 10. Finland
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
EDUCATION AND DEGREES AWARDED
- Title of docent. Political science. University of Helsinki 27.5. 2013.
- D. Soc. Sc. in Political Science, University of Helsinki, 8.5.2012.
- Dissertation: Kokemuksen politiikka. Michel Foucault’n ajattelujärjestelmä. [The Politics of Experience. Foucault’s System of Thought.] Magna cum laude approbatur. Published by Tutkijaliitto 2012, (529 p.).
- Doctoral studies in political science 2000. University of Helsinki (Excellent knowledge).
- Master in Social Sciences, University of Helsinki, 4 October 1995.
- Major subject: Political Science. (Excellent knowledge).
- Secondary subjects: Practical philosophy and Sociology.
- Thesis: “Elämän politiikka.Kartoituksiabiovallanalkuperistä.” [The Politics of Life. Cartography of theoriginsofbiopower.] (220 pages).
- Laudatur. Finnish Political Science Association Prize for the Best Finnish Political Science Master thesis 1995-96.
- Secondary education:Tapiola Upper Secondary School 1988.
- Matriculation examination graded laudatur: Finnish, General studies, Mathematics (advanced syllabus), Russian (advanced syllabus), Swedish, English.
OTHER TRAINING, QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- University pedagogy I (10 credits), University of Helsinki, 2009.
- Academic Writing course. University of Helsinki 2002.
- Practical training in state administration. Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Department for Communications and Culture 1992.
- MA studies in political science, philosophy and sociology at the University of Edinburgh 1990-1991.
- Finnish (mother tongue), English, Swedish (good), Russian (fair)
- Reading: French (good), Italian, Classical Greek, Latin, German (basics).
- Post-doctoral researcher at the University of Jyväskylä.
- Research project: “The Intellectual Heritage of Radical Cultural Conservatism” funded by Academy of Finland.
- Adjunct Professor (Docent) at the University of Helsinki
- Course: Political philosophy in a Modern World: Max Weber, Carl Schmitt, Leo Strauss, Hannah Arendt, Michel Foucault, Giorgio Agamben (Finnish). Advanced Master’s Degree studies 6 credits. Includes lectures and organized discussions in the Moodle learning environment.
- Course: Foundations of Political Thought. Helsinki Open University. Basic studies 2 credits.
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC WORK EXPERIENCE
- Part-time lecturer. University of Helsinki, of Political Science 1995-2014.
- Part-time lecturer. Open University of Helsinki 1999-2014.
- Post-doctoral researcher at the University of Helsinki, Dept. of Political Science. Research project: The Age of Extreme Thought funded by The Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation. 1.6.2013-1.3.2014
- Postdoctoral Researcher. University of Helsinki, of Political Science. 10.5.2012-31.8.2012.
- Doctoral Student Researcher University of Helsinki, of Political Science.1.10.2010-10.5.2012.
- Acting University Instructor, World politics. University of Helsinki, Dept. of Political Science 10.2008 -31.7.2009.
- Research Fellow. University of Helsinki, of Political Science. 1.3.2007-30.9.2008, 1.7.2009-31.1.2010. Project “Power” financed by the Academy of Finland.
- Acting Assistant Professor, Politics Proper. University of Helsinki, Dept. of Political Science 1.8.2004-31.8.2006.
- Research Fellow. University of Helsinki, of Political Science. Project “The Global War of Control” financed by Emil Aaltonen Foundation 2003.
- Member of the national doctoral program in political science (Vakava)8.2001-31.3.2002.
- Doctoral Student. University of Jyväskylä, of Social Sciences and Philosophy. Project “Displacement of politics” financed by the Academy of Finland. 1.1.1999-31.7.2001.
- Doctoral Student. University of Helsinki, of Political Science. Financed by University of Helsinki, Dept of Political Science. 1.9.2002-31.12.2002.
- Doctoral Student. University of Helsinki, of Political Science. 1996-1999, 2002. Financed by The Finnish Cultural Foundation, Tanner Foundation, Helsingin Sanomat Centennial Foundation.
- Departmental Coordinator. University of Helsinki, Dept. Social Policy. 1.1.1997-188.8.131.527.
- University of Helsinki. Project “Difference, identity and alterity.” 1.11-31.12.1995.
MAJOR RESEARCH FUNDING, ACADEMIC LEADERSHIP AND STUDENT SUPERVISION
- Research funding as a member of the research projects
- “The Intellectual Heritage of Radical Cultural Conservatism.” Research project led by prof. M. Ojakangas and financed by Academy of Finland 2013-2017.
- “Rethinking Cultural Diversity in Europe: Beyond Universalism and Particularism.” Research project led by prof. M. Ojakangas and financed by the University of Helsinki Network for European Studies 2010-2012.
- “Governing Competition Society – The Finnish Market Regime in Comparative Perspective. S3: Political Institutions.” Research project led by prof. Kauppi and financed by Academy of Finland Power and Society in Finland programme 2007-2010.
- “Displacement of politics.” Research project led by prof. Hänninen and financed by the Academy of Finland 1999-2001.
- Personal research grants:
- The Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation 2013 (22 000 €)
- Emil Aaltonen Foundation 2003 (7000 €)
- Finnish Society for Non-Fiction Writers 2003 (1300 €)
- University of Helsinki Doctoral thesis grant (3300 €)
- The Finnish Cultural Foundation 2002 (13 500 €)
- Helsingin Sanomat Centennial Foundation 1999
- Väinö Tanner Foundation 1998 (10 000 €)
- Finnish Cultural Foundation 1996 (10 000 €)
- Participation in the drafting of funding applications
- 2011-2 “Intellectual Heritage of Radical Cultural Conservatism” project led by prof. M. Ojakangas
- 2006 “Governing Competition Society” project led by prof. N.Kauppi
- 2004 “Politics and Violence” project led by Adjunct Professor M. Ojakangas
- PhD Supervisor, Master (MA) and Bachelor (BA) thesis Supervisor
- See teaching
MAJOR TEACHING DUTIES AND PEDAGOGICAL COMPETENCE
- Demonstration lessons.
- The Concept of Politics. Adjunct professor. University of Helsinki 2012.
- What is Politics? University lecturer. Helsinki Open University 2007.
- Teaching in the University of Helsinki, Dept. of Political Science 1995-2012. Advanced studies for undergraduates and post-graduates.
- Teaching in the Open University of Helsinki 1999-2012. Basic studies for undergraduates:
- Course coordinator and responsible teacher in the University of Helsinki, Dept. of Political Science
- Teaching Bachelors (6 cr.) and Master thesis (8 cr.) seminars in political science 2008-9.
- Visiting teacher in the postgraduate seminars in the University of Helsinki (2003-2009), Finnish Academy of Fine Arts (1999-2005).
- Also teaching in the following departments and institutions:
- Finnish Academy of Fine Arts (2003-2009); Theatre Academy Helsinki (2001-2006); Department of Social research, University of Helsinki (1997); Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy, University of Jyväskylä (2000, 2006); Critical Academy, Helsinki (2000-2004).
- Visiting Teacher:
- In the Faculty of Law, University of Helsinki (2012, 2014), Department of Comparative Religion, University of Helsinki(2000), The Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Turku (2012), The Department of The Dept. of Architecture; Aalto university (1997).
- Studies in University pedagogy 2009. University pedagogy I (10 credits), University of Helsinki.
- Preparation of over 10 different lecture series and 30 individual lectures 1995-2012.
- Award for the best Masters Theses. National Association of Political Science 1996.
- Contributor-writer Award. Literary journal Nuori Voima
- Award for the best Masters Theses. Faculty of Social Sciences. University of Helsinki
OTHER SCIENTIFIC OR ACADEMIC MERITS AND ACTIVITIES
- Chairmen of the Executive Finnish Association of Researchers 2005-2015.
- Vice Chairman 1998-2001. Member of the Executive Board since 1996.
- Representative of Finnish Association of researchers in The Federation of Finnish Learned Societies 2011-2014.
- Member of the Editorial board. Tiede ja edistys. [Science and Progress: Interdisciplinary critical science journal.] 1998-2015.
- Reviewer for the following academic journals:
- STASIS: Journal in social and political theory; Nordic Journal of Youth Research; Fafnir – Nordic Journal of Science Fiction and Fantasy Research; Ephemera: Theory and politics in organization; Tiede ja Edistys: Interdisciplinary critical science journal; Kosmopolis: Journal for Peace and Conflict Research and World Politics; Politiikka: Finnish Journal of Political Science; Oikeus-lehti. Journal of Finish Legal Policy Association.
- Consulting Academic translations GAUDEAMUS Helsinki University Press.
- Member of the editorial board inthepublishinghouseTutkijaliittosince1995-
- Founding member and referee for scientific series Paradeigma and Episteme.
- Member of the Board. Summa publishing house 2001-2006.
- Numerous conference papers and invited speaks and comments.
SCIENTIFIC AND SOCIETAL IMPACT OF RESEARCH
- Over 100 publications. Publications.
- Numerous public appearances in public discussions and events.
- Appearances, expert comments and interviews in newspapers, radio and television programs.