Koivusalo, Markku Johannes
Title of Docent, D. Soc. Sc. in Political Science
- Full name: Koivusalo, Markku Johannes
- Date and place of birth: 30 May 1969, Helsinki (Finland).
- Finnish Citizen.
- Spouse: Annaleena Hakatie (Designer)
- Children: Annastiina Augusta Apollonia (b. 1999), Aukusti Alarik Dionius (b. 2006).
- Current residence: Museokatu 46B 50. Helsinki 10. Finland
- Email: email@example.com,
- Work contact: Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy.
- PO Box 35 FI-40014. University of Jyväskylä
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title of docent. Political science. University of Helsinki 27.5. 2013.
- D. Soc. Sc. in Political Science, University of Helsinki, 2012.
- Master in Social Sciences, University of Helsinki, 4 October 1995.
- Practical training in state administration. Ministry for Foreign Affairs. Department for Communications and Culture 1992
- MA studies in political science, philosophy and sociology at the University of Edinburgh 1990-1991.
- Secondary education: Tapiola Upper Secondary School 1988.
- Finnish (mother tongue), English, Swedish (good), Russian (fair)
- Reading: French (good), Italian, Classical Greek, Latin, German (basics).
Current position and work experience
- Adjunct Professor (Title of Docent) at the University of Helsinki. 2013-
- Acting University Teacher. Political Science. Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy. University of Jyväskylä 2017-
- Academic researcher and teacher 1995-2018 (Details see my academic CV)
- Worked mainly in the Department of Political and Economic Studies. University of Helsinki and Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy. University of Jyväskylä.
- Visiting researcher and teacher in University of Genova 2015-2016
- Visiting teacher in the University of the Arts Helsinki
- Finnish Academy of Fine Arts (2003-2009); Theatre Academy Helsinki (2001-2006)
- Visiting teacher in the Aalto University
- The Department of Architecture (1997). ELO Film School Helsinki. Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture (2017)
- Visiting teacher in the Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Turku (2012)
- Visiting teacher in the The Finnish Adult Education Centre. City of Helsinki (2017-2018)
- Visiting teacher in Critical Academy, Helsinki (2000-2004).
- Chairmen (2005-2015). Vice Chairman (1998-2001) and Member (1996-2017) of the Executive Board 1996-2017. Finnish Association of Researchers.
- Chairmen (2017- ) and Member (2013-2017) of the Board. Töölön kaupunginosat – Töölö ry.
- Member (2018- ) of the Board. Central Finland Real Estate Federation.
- Member (2017- ) of the Board. Real Estate Corporation Töölön Kylätalon Hietsu.
- Chairmen (2017- ) and Member (1997-2009, 2017-) of the Board. As Oy Mechelin.
- Member of The Board and secretary (2012-2013). Finland’s Housing Company Shareholder Association.
- Member of the Board. Summa publishing house 2001-2006.
Fundraising and Personal Grants
Fundraising for Finnish Association of Researchers (2005-2015). T 435 950€
- Operational grants, publishing grants, marketing and education grants, seminar grants.
- Fundraising for Töölön kaupunginosat ry 3000€.
- Fundraising for Finland’s Housing Company Shareholder Association. 7000 €.
Personal research grants:
- The Ella and Georg Ehrnrooth Foundation 2013 (22 000 €); Emil Aaltonen Foundation 2003 (7000 €); Finnish Society for Non-Fiction Writers 2003 (1300 €); University of Helsinki Doctoral thesis grant (3300 €); The Finnish Cultural Foundation 2002 (13 500 €); Helsingin Sanomat Centennial Foundation 1999;Väinö Tanner Foundation 1998 (10 000 €); Finnish Cultural Foundation 1996 (10 000 €)
Research funding as a member of the research projects (selection)
- Academy of Finland 2013-2017; University of Helsinki Network for European Studies 2010 2012; Academy of Finland Power and Society in Finland programme 2007-2010; Academy of Finland 1999-2001.
- Member of the Research Community of the Year Award 2017. Finnish Association of Researchers
- Award for the best Masters Theses. National Association of Political Science 1996.
- Contributor-writer Award. Literary journal Nuori Voima
- Award for the best Masters Theses. Faculty of Social Sciences. University of Helsinki
- Over one hundred publications.
- Numerous academic peer reviewed articles and chapters in research books.
- Numerous articles in cultural and art journals
- Columns, newspaper articles, reviews
Public appearances, discussions and events
- Several arranged conferences and invited speaks, numerous conference papers
- Numerous public discussions
- Numerous expert comments and interviews in international and domestic newspapers, radio and television programs.
Positions of Trust
- Lay Judge. Helsinki District Court. 2013-.
- Member of the Editorial board. Tiede ja edistys. [Interdisciplinary critical science journal.] 1998-2015.
- Member of the editorial board in the publishing house Tutkijaliitto 1995-2017.
- Representative of Association of Researchers in The Federation of Finnish Learned Societies 2011-2014.
- Representative of Association in Finnish Civic Association for Adult Learning 2014-2015.
- Several Positions of Trust in Student Organizations 1989-1992.
Reviewer and consultancy
Reviewer for the following academic journals:
- STASIS: Journal in social and political theory; Nordic Journal of Youth Research; Fafnir – Nordic Journal of Science Fiction Research; Ephemera: Theory and politics in organization; Tiede ja Edistys: Interdisciplinary critical science journal; Kosmopolis: Journal for Peace and Conflict Research and World Politics; Politiikka: Finnish Journal of Political Science; Justice: Journal of Finish Legal Policy Association.
Reviewer and consultancy for the following academic publishing houses
- GAUDEAMUS Helsinki University Press; Finnish Youth Research Network; Finnish Research Association.