John Stuart Mill (1806 – 1873)
Collected Works of John Stuart Mill, 33 vols. Edited by J.M. Robson. Toronto University Press, Toronto 1963-1991. Online Library of Liberty. (CW)
” The Word Nature” 1823
- “A letter in the Republican of [3 Jan., 1823,] on the word Nature” CW XII
- Sana “luonto”. Suom. Tuusvuori. Niin & näin 1/01
”The Utility o f Knowledge” 1823
- Speech on the Utility of Knowledge spoken at the Mutual Improvement Society in 1823. CW XXVI
- Tiedon hyöty. Sana “luonto”. Suom. Tuusvuori. Niin & näin 1/01
Questions of Population. 1823
- Four letters on the necessity of checking population. Appeared in Black Dwarf 1923. CW: XXII.
Use and Abuse of Political Terms. Tait’s Edinburgh Magazine, I (May, 1832), 164-72. Unsigned. CW: XVIII
Corporation and Church Property 1833
- Corporation and Church Property,” The Jurist, or Quarterly Journal of Jurisprudence and Legislation, IV (Feb., 1833), 1-26 (unsigned).
- Anonymous pamphlet: Corporation and Church Property Resumable by the State. London: Sweet, Stevens, and Maxwell, 1833. CW IV.
“Remarks on Bentham’s Philosophy.” Published as anonymous appendix in Edward Lytton Bulwer, England and the English. Bentley, London 1933, II, 321-44. CW: X.
On Tocqueville 1835-1840
- “De Tocqueville on Democracy in America [I]” London Review, I (Oct., 1835), 85-129. CW: XVIII
- “De Tocqueville on Democracy in America [II]” Edinburgh Review, October 1840. CW: XVIII
“Civilization” London and Westminster Review, April 1836. CW: XVIII
‘Parties and the Ministry.” London and Westminster Review, VI & XXVIII (Oct., 1837), 1-26. CW VI.
“The French Revolution: A History.” London and Westminster Review, V & XXVII (July, 1837), 17-53. A review of Carlyle’s History of the French Revolution. CW XX.
French Revolution. Westminster Review, V (Apr., 1826), 385-98. A review of Mignet’s History of the French Revolution.
Scott’s Life of Napoleon. Westminster Review, IX (Apr., 1828), 251-313. Review of Sir Walter Scott’s Life of Bonaparte.
“Bentham.” London and Westminster Review, August 1938. CW: X.
“Coleridge.” London and Westminster Review, March 1840. CW: X.
A System of Logic 1843
A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive: Being a Connected View of the Principles of Evidence and the Methods of Scientific Investigation, Volume 1. John W. Parker, 1843.
A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive: Being a Connected View of the Principles of Evidence and the Methods of Scientific Investigation, Volume 2. John W. Parker, 1843.
Essays on Political Economy 1844
- Essays on Some Unsettled Questions of Political Economy. John W. Parker, London 1844.
“The Claims of Labour” 1945
- “The Claims of Labour.” Edinburgh Review, LXXXI (Apr., 1845), 498-525 (unsigned). Review of Help: The Claims of Labour: an Essay on the Duties of the Employers to the Employed. Pickering, London 1844. CW IV.
The Principles of Political Economy 1848
The Principles of Political Economy
I: (Books I-II) CW II
New edition by Jonathan Riley. Oxford University Press, 1998.
“The Negro Question” 1850
- Fraser’s Magazine, XLI (Jan., 1850), 25-31. In response to Thomas Carlyle, “Occasional Discourse on the Negro Question,” Fraser’s Magazine, XL (Dec., 1849), 670-9. CW: XXI.
The regulation of the London water supply 1851
- Public Agency v. Trading Companies: The Economical and Administrative Principles of Water-Supply for the Metropolis. Correspondence between John Stuart Mill, Esq., Author of “Principles of Political Economy,” and the Metropolitan Sanitary Association on the Proper Agency for Regulating the Water-Supply for the Metropolis, as a Question of Economical and Administrative Principle. London: Metropolitan Sanitary Association, [1851,] 19-23. CW:V
On Liberty 1859
On Liberty. London: John W. Parker and Son, London 1859.
On Liberty. In J. S. Mill: ‘On Liberty’ and Other Writings. Edited by Stefan Collini. Cambridge University Press; Cambridge 1989
Vapaudesta. Suomentanut Niilo Liakka. Otava, Helsinki 1891. Ajanmukaisestettu 1981. Reima T. A. Luoto. Studia liberalia Librum, Helsinki 1982
‘Thoughts on Parliamentary Reform. Pamphlet, February 1859. CW: XIX
Representative Government 1861
Considerations on Representative Government. Parker, Son, and Bourn, London 1861. CW: XIX.
“Centralisation” A review of M. Dupont White and M. Odilon Barrot’s writings on Centralization, in the Edinburgh Review for April 1862” CW: XIX.
- Three articles published in Fraser’s Magazine, LXIV (Oct., 1861), 391-406 [Chaps. i-ii], ibid. (Nov., 1861), 525-34 [Chaps. iii-iv], ibid. (Dec., 1861), 658-73 [Chap. v].
- Utilitarianism: Parker, Son, and Bourn, London 1863, 1864, 1867. CW: X.
Auguste Comte and Positivism 1865
- Auguste Comte and Positivism. London: Trübner, London 1865, 1866. CW: X.
- The Positive Philosophy of Auguste Comte. Westminster and Foreign Quarterly Review, LXXXIII (Apr., 1865), 339-405.
- Later Speculations of Auguste Comte. Westminster and Foreign Quarterly Review, LXXXIV (July, 1865), 1-42.
On Hamilton’s Philosophy 1865
An Examination of William Hamilton’s Philosophy 1865. CW: IX.
Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St. Andrews. Longmans, Green, Reader, and Dyer, London 1867. CW : XXI.
The Subjection of Women 1869
Naisten asema. Suomentanut Lyyli Vihervaara. 1910. Librum 1983.
- Autobiography of John Stuart Mill. Longmans, Green, Reader, and Dyer, London 1873. CW I.
Property and Taxation. Fortnightly Review, n.s. XIII (Mar., 1873), 396-8. CW: V.
Three Essays on Religion 1874
- Three Essays on Religion. Longmans, Green, Reader, and Dyer, London 1874. Published and edited posthumously by Helen Taylor. CW: X.
On Socialism 1879
- Unfinished manuscript published posthumously by his step-daughter Helen Taylor.
- “Chapters on Socialism. By John Stuart Mill.” Fortnightly Review, n.s. XXV (Feb., 1879), 217-37; ibid. (Mar., 1879), 373-82; ibid. (Apr., 1879), 513-30.
- Chapters on Socialism 1879. In J. S. Mill: ‘On Liberty’ and Other Writings. Edited by Stefan Collini. Cambridge University Press; Cambridge 1989